Thursday, September 8, 2011

More Yogurt!

Ok, so I've been on a kick lately about making my own yogurt. At first, I was totally daunted by it... there are timings and temperatures and important steps involved. My thermometer has some air bubbles in the mercury, so I was concerned that I wouldn't get an accurate reading when I went to add in the store-bought yogurt (the "starter), but so far so good!

Tuesday evening, I decided to keep the yogurt making going by making another batch, but using my own homemade yogurt as the starter this time. When I got home from work, I immediately plugged in the crock pot and set it on 'low.' I went about some household things and set an alarm for the 2.5 hour mark per the directions I'd been following.

Wouldn't you know it... I got caught up in doing something and didn't hear the alarm. When I finally realized what had happened, I went to check on my milk and discovered that it had gotten pretty heated, to the point that it had a 'skin' on top.

Crap.

I didn't know what the heck I was going to do with cooked milk, so I said "what the heck" and gave it a shot anyway. Scooped out two cups of the cooked milk, whisked in my homemade starter, poured the whole thing back in the crockpot and tucked it away into the stove. I said a little prayer in the hopes that my cooked milk woulnd't have to be tossed out.

The next morning I woke up like it was Christmas. I dashed into the kitchen, opened the oven, took off the crock pot lid, and...

Another successful batch!

YAY!

(I LOVE not having to throw out food!)

Since this was my third successful batch, I had become semi-pro at straining the yogurt to 'thicken' it. So I set up a couple of strainers/colanders with a thicker cloth napkin as the lining, set them in bowls, and ladled in the thin, creamy yogurt. And off to work I went!

When I got home, I had a couple pounds of peaches left over from the bourbon peach foodventure, so I chopped up what was left, got rid of bad spots, and pureed a couple of peaches to stir into the now-very-thick yogurt. Turned out pretty nicely!

Which brings us to today, when, while getting everything together to leave for work this morning, I left my fancy homemade peach yogurt on the kitchen table... at least Eric was home to put it back in the fridge for me...

Stay tuned to see what kind of luck I have in making homemade frozen yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment